Sunday, June 6, 2010

Random Niceties

Tonight a 13 year old girl got arrested at our store for shoplifting magazines. She had too much cleavage and a bunch of self-inflicted cut marks on her arm. She had braces. I felt awful for her.

I know what it's like to be that girl. Her mascara was streaked down her face, but she wasn't bawling like some of them do.

I wrote her a note, and motioned to her when I put it in her bag. I didn't want the security guy to see, so I had to slip it in that way.

I said:

Don't be embarrassed. And please stop hurting yourself.
Read I am an Emotional Creature by Eve Ensler.

I understand because I've had the same thing happen to me. It's never worth it.

Hugs. PLEASE stop hurting yourself.


I wasn't sure what else to say. I want her to read that book because it might make her feel more important, more powerful. It was obvious she was a mess inside. Her friend ditched her, too, once she was caught, and her mother almost didn't come to get her because she'd been drinking.

I just felt bad for the girl. She needed someone on her side. I asked her if she was okay, and she nodded. I told her to read the note. I hope she does. It wasn't much, but it was something.

No comments:

Post a Comment